Monday, October 13, 2008

2 races in 2 days. What was I thinking?

Well I did two races this weekend. Something I've never done before and probably never again, especially long ones like these two. Maybe two 5Ks would be more reasonable.

Race 1: Taylorsville 6,12,18 mile trail race. I did the 18 miler which was the 6 mile loop 3 times. For trail runs this was pretty tame except for the roots and rocks wanted to grab ya. No real bad hills. There was 6 ravines you had to go in and out of along the river in the first 3.5 miles which put you out on a bike path for just a little over a mile before plunging back into the woods back to the start. The weather was wonderful. Cool and not a cloud in the sky. First two loops was wonderful and then it was getting a bit warm the 3rd time. All mileages started together and I kept near the front. Finally we spread out some which made it easier. I was coasting along pretty good and this guy in a grey shirt passed me the last mile of the first loop. I thought he'd be running the 6 mile option. At the turn around I could see that he wasn't. He was crusing but I was able to keep him in sight. He was quite a bit ahead on the bike path then as I only caught glimpses of him the last two miles of the second loop. I was hoping he was only doing 12. At the turn around I didn't see him and the 1st mile of the last loop. Then I saw him. Agh! He is running 18! However, this time he was getting closer. Yes, he was tiring out. Before getting to the ravines I passed him, speeding up some putting a good bit of distance between us. That was the last time I saw him. That was the only person I saw on the last loop and no one passed me so I was thinking that I may be first. I was excited to be 1st. The last two times I've run this race I have been 3rd both times. I was getting tired but I kept pushing wanted to hold onto 1st. Finally the finish line in 2:24:01. I went to the scorers table and guess what. Two other guys that were so fast that I never even saw them beat me. bummer eh? Still, a good race. 3rd again!

Sunday morning I woke up a bit sore and thinking, I'm not doing this 1/2 road marathon today. I am tired and I don't feel like it. Then I saw a note from my girls wishing me good luck and they love me so that motivated me to go.

The last time I did this half (Dayton River Corridor Classic) was 3 years ago and I got 1:24 something. Another beautiful day and we were off at 9AM. I managed a 6:30 per mile pace for the first 3 miles and was in the front pack when the leader of our pack missed a turn!!!! We all just followed and then stopped looking around. I thought to myself, "Damn, I don't need this. I'm tired and do not need to run extra." Kinda deflated my sails so to speak. We ran across this field and hooped over a wooden gate. Well the first several hooped over the gate before it collapsed. Really, it feel down. Was funny. Nobody hurt. So between miles 3 and 4 my split was 9 minutes. Ugh. So I got going again and my splits were around 6:45. Around mile 6 I was strating to struggle, but still maintaining those times. The last 3 miles was a real struggle. 7 minute splits except for the last mile which I actually walked just a little. The last 1.1 was 8:01. My total time was 1:32:34. Not horrible. Actually better then I expected of myself considering what I did yesterday.

So now it is rest time. I have one more race this season and it's a 50K next weekend. After that I'm taking a few months off. Mainly because I am being deployed. I do need my body to heal though.

Thanks for reading
Wes

No comments: